Day Eight: Lazy CookingApril 14, 2021
Since the Keto flu had me down, I opted for a ‘from memory’ recipe. This is absolutely wonderful! I tried to add a little coconut oil with the olive oil, thinking I could sneak it in. Unfortunately, I really don’t like the taste of coconut at all. I thought I could mask the flavor by mixing 1 tablespoon in with the olive oil, but I could totally taste it and hated having the flavor in there. I’m switching to coconut oil in a softgel instead.
You can use any type of firm, white fish for this recipe: flounder, sole, pollock, haddock, etc. When I know I’m going to make it, I tend to just pick up whatever is on sale. The only fish I avoid is tilapia, because it does not have the omega-3 that most other fish do.
The original recipe calls for a lot less red pepper than I use, so reduce it if you don’t like spicy stuff. I use the left over scallions or green onions to make tuna salad.
To make creating the packets easier, I use 6 cereal bowls and line them with foil.
Spicy Lime Fish Filets with Spinach and Asparagus
- 1 9oz. bag spinach fresh
- 36 spear asparagus washed and bottoms cut off (should give you 6-9 spears for each packet, 5 inches each)
- 24 ounces flounder washed and patted dry (sole/flounder/haddock/pollock/cod))
- ¾ cup scallions sliced (white part only)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 lime quartered
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
six 18-inch sheets of aluminum foil. Combine olive oil, cayenne pepper and pepper
flakes in small bowl to make chili oil; microwave 30 seconds on high.
- To assemble each packet, layer ingredients in this order in middle of foil sheet:
- ? package of lightly packed spinach leaves
- 1 – 4oz fillet
- ? of the sliced onions
- ½ teaspoons chili oil drizzled over fillet
- Juice from 1 lime quarter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring ends of foil together over food and crimp several times; crimp ends to close packet.
- Bake in 450° oven for 12 minutes.